Environmental, Health, Safety and Community Policy (EHSC Policy)
We care about the safety, health, security and wellbeing of our employees, the environment, communities and other stakeholders.
We will ensure sustainable protection of people and the environment. To this end GB Minerals will:
- Establish and maintain well-defined EHSC management systems, plans and procedures to guide operations.
- Ensure that all directors, line managers, supervisors and employees at all levels of the organization, as well as external contractors and visitors to the site, understand and adhere to its EHSC policies, programs and procedures.
- Meet and exceed applicable national, international and legal requirements and standards.
- Apply applicable performance standards that GB Minerals has committed to follow and work towards implementation of these standards in a manner appropriate to Farim Mine site.
- Establish regular review and track progress towards meeting EHSC objectives and performance targets to facilitate continuous improvement with respect to EHSC performance as defined in volume 3 of the ESIA.
- Provide resources and training to our people to fulfil the commitment given in this policy and to achieve continuous improvement.
- Identify, assess and effectively manage risks to employees, business partners, the environment and local communities.
- Mitigate environmental impacts through the promotion of the efficient use of natural resources, in particular water, energy and fuel.
- As far as practical, avoid or minimize the generation of waste by actively promoting reuse and recycling of resources. All waste will be disposed of in a responsible manner.
- Manage hazardous substances so as to minimize associated risks to human and environmental health.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive environmental monitoring program at the mine and use the data to identify and mitigate risks and remote resource efficiency;
- Conserve, restore and where practical, enhance GB Mineral’s built and natural environment, keeping it safe, diverse and pleasant.
- Implement systems to manage supply chain risks and execute reasonable efforts to avoid suppliers and contractors that bear obvious risks in terms of child labour/forced labour/ health and safety.
- Promote understanding and participation of local communities in environmental issues through education, information and regular community consultation and communication.
- Maintain a high degree of emergency preparedness.
- Strive to form partnerships with our host communities and stakeholders, sharing and participating in the preservation of the environment, traditions and values and the establishment of sustainable projects.
- Establish at the mine, a team of appropriately qualified and experienced employees to implement and ensure conformance to the EHSC policy.
- Communicate openly with employees, government, the public and other stakeholders regarding this policy and on all matters pertaining to health, safety and the environment within the sphere of influence of GB Minerals operation.
- Implement host country obligations under international law.
/s/ Delio Darsamo
Delio Darsamo, Country Manager
03 October 2016